Saturday 19 December 2015

Advocacy for Librarians



This is definitely not easy. For personal reasons I do not campaign for Libraries. I have a different priority and I do not think that there is an endless pot of money and my other priority matters more - to me. I think that money could be saved from other sources but it is not for me to point the finger and specify where that money comes from as its target matters to someone. I think Libraries are more important than a lot of things, but if I campaign for Libraries then maybe my higher priority will suffer as I think it could be one of those either or decisions. So I shall continue to sit silently. There are lots of others willing to join the fray. Good luck to them. Up to a point.

How effective are they? How many libraries have been saved? Both as a number and as a % of those that were ear-marked for closure? How many were saved only to be run by volunteers? How many of those will still be a library in any useful sense of the word in five years? If they closed, why? Lack of tenacity on the part of the volunteers? No new stock so users stop using? The authorities slip in and close them when interest has waned? That will be the only way to measure the success of these campaigns.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - it will show as soon as I have read it.