Thursday 17 December 2015

Curation Tools

Pinterest - at last something I really love. I have lots of Pinterest Boards - I have just recently started an account in the College's name - not sure it was appropriate for the parents and students to know I love beaches or where I was looking to buy a house! In fact at one point I tried to transfer all my Diigo links onto Pinterest as I could sort them into boards - but only since Diigo stopped being so flexible and free - I know you can pay but I would prefer not to. More  Diigo a little later. Anyway I like the visual aspect of Pinterest. I like producing lists, I tried to do it as a business in 2013-4 but of course there are too many free ones and like me, people don't pay if they don't need to.

However, back to Pinterest, I have just started replacing my bookmarks with Pinterest boards for reading suggestions. Currently along the line of follow-ons from ... . There will also be genre boards, eventually genre by level to guide readers towards books for their age and level of achievement. As this is for work they will be colour coded using the College's Library system. There will also be boards to support topics and themes being studied in class and even straight reading recommendations from subject teachers.

There are of course disadvantages the biggest of which is the inability to rearrange the order of Pins on boards without deleting them and re-uploading them in the required order - very very tedious.

Pinterest is endless and I don't have to put myself out there, which I love, and it is FREE.

Pinterest is (mostly) about books (for work). Diigo is about websites.

Diigo, my used to be favourite list keeper of websites. I love that you could categorise everything to your hearts content and share or not it was up to you and so easy to change. Now you are very restricted as to what you can do and it is very annoying, but it is free and if I wasn't so mean then I could have what I want!

Diigo is one of those cross-over products that I use for me and work - It has work stuff on it but I only update it in my time on my computer so consider it 'mine' which is why I took it with me when I left my last job. I am very careful about the way things are named so that if I do change jobs then I can take all the things I have put together in my time with me - schools write very time intellectual copyright clauses into their contracts now. A previous school wrote there's in retrospectively for the teaching staff - very sneaky and not at all appreciated. So this is something to be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - it will show as soon as I have read it.