Saturday 12 December 2015

Reflections

As anyone who looks will see there has been a positive (in every sense of the word) burst of activity today. Term has ended and at last I have convinced myself to get on with it!

There is no doubt that I have a problem with this course - it is useful in telling me what is out there and how much of it is not what I need - sorry, but there it is. I don't need LinkedIn as i am not job hunting, I don't have time for FB professionally - really I am busy enough. I think all these things need constant updating and I am simply not convinced of the benefit of this use of my time. I feel I would be better improving what my Library does, the quality of data on the OPAC, the quality of the Library Skills lessons I teach, the EPQ sessions I teach, keeping the College community informed about what I can do for them, running events etc. When I want to publicise these things I want to use a medium all the students at least in the senior school can access - that is not FB, but twitter.

I am in a small town in Malaysia but still manage to attend courses - more per annum than I did when I was in the UK as my current employers are much more generous about my training. I also belong to a very good group of Librarians - we meet about once a month and arrange events, share author visits, and collaborate in others ways, including training and sharing information.

I work in a school that has just completed its fourth term and is growing steadily, the board and SLT all appreciate the Library and what it does, I am a HoD and could ask for little more (it would be silly to say nothing as there is always something!). I am happy here, I considered chartering just before I came out but am glad I didn't especially after doing this course as I now realise that I don't have time. I know in an ideal world all school librarians would be chartered ...

One of the advantages of this job is that there is a fixed contract and you have to start considering whether to renew it in November of the year before it ends, initially for two years and then one or two years by choice. So every year or two you have to sit down and decide whether or not you want to continue with what you are doing. Which is a good example of reflective practice. I am just coming to my decision so this bit of reflection has helped with that.

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted that this has helped with your reflection. As the course progresses, you will find more tools to engage with the students and promote the library more. I promise!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it will show as soon as I have read it.