Saturday 12 December 2015

Facebook and Twitter

Facebook for me is personal although I belong to two professional lists: rudai23;  and a librarian list.  I also belong to a staff and families list associated with school but that is for information about where we live, etc. For me FB is about keeping in touch with real people, I know and have met in the flesh all my FB friends - all 12 of them. That's how I like it, not sure why I would want to talk to strangers about my private life - I know people who do but makes me squirm.

I don't need a FB page for work as the school already has one and I do not have time to take on yet another commitment and I think an out of date FB page is worse than no FB page.

Twitter - I starter a work twitter account recently, the short nature of the messages makes it more manageable and I think the whole tone is so utterly public you know it is like talking to a huge stadium full of people, so have no illusion that your remarks might be between you and 'friends'. I also think it is obvious that is is not mostly about the minutiae of people's lives although there is always someone willing to tweet they are on the 6.40 to Sunbury or wherever. So that is a much more appropriate focus for professional social media.

I wish you could stop chosen individuals following you, but realise that is not good for the Twitter business. This social media is not really meant for people like me!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I don't know! As you work your way through the things you may find one you like!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it will show as soon as I have read it.